Gua Sha, pronounced "Gwa-Sa" is an ancient, traditional Chinese healing technique used to stimulate the lymphatic system and relax muscles which can have a wealth of benefits, including clearer and smoother skin. The traditional facial tool is a smooth, flat gemstone usually made from Jade, Bain stone, or Rose Quartz with curved or notched edges. Gua Sha can be used on the entire body, but we will be talking about the method of gentle Facial Gua Sha, including the neck. The Gua Sha tool is massaged or scraped along the skin in a sweeping outward/upward motion at various points on the face . One of the main benefits of this technique is the reduction of puffiness, which is usually a result of lymphatic fluid not circulating freely throughout the body. Practicing Gua Sha on your face can release this lymphatic fluid and the impurities it may contain, reducing puffiness, eliminating toxins, improving circulation, and activating the skin's natural ability to heal itself. Fewer toxins and better circulation lead to clearer, nourished, glowing skin.
But there's more! Gua Sha massage can also relieve tension in the muscles of the face, reducing hardened facial expressions such as frown lines and breaking up adhesions which interfere with proper fluid flow. Adhesions are bound or fixed sections of tissue which are not normally united. Gua Sha essentially re-patterns repetitive muscle movements, unwinding tissues and relaxing your face into it's natural state. Logic would tell us that a relaxed face is a smooth face.
- This is a Wing-Shaped Tool approximately 3.25" x 1.75" wide
- Listing is for One(1) tool.
BENEFITS OF FACIAL GUA SHA
With the correct technique and consistent practice, Gua Sha can help to:
- Reduce Puffiness and dark circles from excess and trapped fluids
- Improve Circulation, bringing oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to skin cells
- Reduce Tension in facial muscles, softening the face and reducing the formation of harsh expression lines
- Soften tissue adhesions which can inhibit the flow of vital fluids
- Promote skin clarity, reducing acne and congestion by improving the circulation of lymph and thereby eliminating toxins
- Expedites the healing of pimples and other skin issues
- Reduce Inflammation caused by excess impurities in the lymph
- Strengthens cells to improve collagen production
- Improves skin radiance and brightens complexion
- Contour, and Sculpt the face for a more refined features
- Lift and Tighten Skin
- Prepare the skin to better accept topical products for deeper and accelerated penetration
- Relieve headaches and sinus congestion
- Relax your body and nervous system to reduce stress anxiety, and even depression
Metaphysical Properties of Rose Quartz
Rose Quartz is commonly referred to as the "Love Stone" for it's strong vibrations of unconditional love, tenderness, joy warmth and healing. This beautiful pink crystal has a powerful energy that resonates within both the heart chakra and the higher heart chakra the area related to compassion.
Rose quartz is packed full of minerals, including silicium, magnesium, iron, sodium and oxygen. It has an amazing ability to reduce inflammation and support the renewal of skin cells plus heals and rejuvenates.
HOW TO USE YOUR GUA SHA TOOL
Important tips before getting started:
- Gua Sha should not be practiced on skin which received any sort of injections such as botox within the past 3 months, open wounds, cysts, active breakout, very inflamed or irritated skin. Please consult a health care provider prior to using gua sha for other concerns. If you have a specific skin condition, consult an esthetician who is educated in TCM and Facial Gua Sha.
- Be sure to first apply a hydration mist and serum or oil to create some slip so your Gua Sha board can glide smoothly along skin without excessive tugging.
- Touch should be very light and gentle, as the lymph does not need much pressure to be activated. Under eye area touch should be feather-light pressure only. You can use slightly more pressure on the areas of the back of neck and jaw but not more than a medium pressure. No bruising or irritation should ever occur.
- Hold your tool flat against your skin, or at no more than a 15 degree angle to cover as much surface area as possible.
- Take your time, working with slow and steady movements to achieve full benefits.
- Using your free hand, always support the skin in fleshy areas like neck, cheeks and around eyes, as not to overstretch skin.
- Always use the Gua Sha tool in an upward and outward motion on the face, working against gravity.
- When the concern is puffiness, work on the area below the issue. For example, begin at the neck to free up congested lymph in this area, so that lymph in the face can flow downward toward a cleared area. To de-puff under eyes, you want to make sure you have first practiced on the area below, such as cheeks.
Prepare your skin:
- Generously apply a hydration mist such as our Vital Botanic Hydrating Mist and gently press into your skin. Feel free to apply a second round if your skin is particularly thirsty.
- Warm 5-10 drops of a serum or face oil between both palms, press into face, neck & decolette and massage in an upward/outward motion, giving extra love to areas of concern.
- Continue in the order below, sweeping 5-10 times for each section. Remember, light and gentle pressure!
Back of Neck – Notched Edge - Using one of the notched edges, place the gua sha tool at the base of your neck, holding as flat as possible against your skin. Pull the tool upward with light to medium pressure until the tool hits bone at the back of your skull. Give yourself a massage in that location by wiggling the tool.
Shoulder/Side of Neck – Flat Surface and Curved Edge - Using the Flat or gradually curved edge of your tool, place the surface of your tool at the end of your shoulder, just before the collar bone meets the shoulder. Keeping the tool flat, pull the tool up your shoulder and side of your neck with light to medium pressure until it touches bone just under your ear. Give the tool a little wiggle to massage that spot.
Collarbone/Front of Neck – Flat Surface and Curved Edge - Using the Flat or slightly curved edge of your tool, place the surface of your tool just under your collar bone. Pull the tool upward over your collar bone and up your neck until it touches bone just under your jaw. Give the tool a little wiggle to massage that spot.
Sternum/Front of Neck – Notched Edge - Place your fingers at the top of your sternum, just between where your collar bones meet. This provides support to the skin. Place the notched edge of the tool just above your fingers. Keeping the tool as flat to your skin as possible, pull the tool upward until it hits bone, just under your chin. Give yourself a massage in that location by wiggling the tool. Repeat 5 times more more.
Jaw Release Lift & Sculpt – Notched Edge - Place your fingers at the center of your chin, place the notched edge of the tool next to your fingers so that there is a tip on both the top and bottom of your jar. Keeping the tool as flat as possible, pull the tool outward following the line of your jaw until it touches just under the ear. Give yourself a massage in that location by wiggling the tool.
Cheek Sculpt & Lift - Flat Surface and Smooth Edge - Place your fingers over your nose and on your cheek just next to your nose to support the skin. Place smooth edge of the tool next to your fingers, keeping the tool as flat to your skin as possible. Pull the tool outward until you reach your ear.Give yourself a massage in that location by wiggling the tool.
Under Eye Refresh – Rounded Tip - This is an area of very thin and fragile skin, please use feather-light pressure when treating the eye area. Place a finger just below the inner corner of your eye. Lightly place the curved tip of the tool flat next to your finger under your eye. Gently and lightly pull the tool to the outer corner of the eye and then outward/upward to the temple. When you reach the hairline, wiggle the tool in a massage type motion.
Brow Lift & Eye Opener – Notched Edge - Place a finger or two between your brow to support the skin. Place the notched part of the tool next to your fingers and lay the tool flat to the skin. Pull the tool outward, following the brow bone. When you reach the end of your brow bone, turn the tool upward and pull it upward/outward until you reach your hairline. When you reach the hairline, give yourself a massage in that location by wiggling the tool.
Forehead Smoothing & Brow Lift – Curved Edge - Place your finger under the center of your brow bone, feather light touch to support the skin. Using the long curved edge of your tool, touch your finger at a flat angle and pull the tool upward over your brow bone and continue up forehead. When you reach the hairline, give the tool a little wiggle to massage that spot.
Center Forehead – Shorter Flat Edge - Place your fingers gently between your brows to support the skin. Place the shorter flat edge of the tool just above your fingers and pull the tool upward until you reach the hairline.When you reach the hairline, give yourself a massage in that location by wiggling the tool.
You’ve now completed one full side of your face and can repeat these movements on the opposite side. Do you notice a difference in your appearance? Does the treated side of your face look lifted and brightened?
We suggest practicing Facial Gua Sha daily or as often as you like. Consistency will be the trick to gaining desired results. Truly take your time and enjoy this relaxing and rejuvenating ritual.
Wilder North cannot be held responsible for any actions made, implied or expressed by anyone as a result of the above content.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are in no way intended to heal, prevent or treat any illness. Please consult your doctor if you are seeking medical advice.
The above content contains information and references from our article. Please go to HERE to view all applicable cited references.